Father Andrew Horan
Rev. Father Andrew Horan was the Parish Priest of Ipswich for 44 years from
1873-1917. He was born at Gormanstone, County Kildare, Ireland on 11th May,
1845. He was one of four brothers. All four became priests. Two of his brothers
were also parish priests in Gympie and Warwick. He was University educated and
completed most of his studies in Rome. He came to the Ipswich parish as a
temporary replacement for Father Brun. However, he stayed for the rest of his
The Parish of Ipswich in the late 1800’s, extended from near Brisbane to the
foot of the Range and further to Nanango. Eventually Laidley, Goodna and the
Gatton-Helidon district were created as separate parishes. Father Horan
succeeded in making Ipswich one of the very best equipped parishes in Australia.
Father Horan had a strong sense of community with a priority that focused on
education for all. He was a friend to all no matter what walk of life or
religion that person came from. He took an active part in community by helping
people to settle on the land and gave his wisdom, knowledge and experience where
required. He was inspirational in assisting those who required flood relief
during the great floods in 1893. His greatest accomplishment however was his
contribution to the building of St. Mary’s, the most significant church
structure in Queensland. The foundation stone was laid by Archbishop Dunne
assisted by Father Horan and other local priests on Sunday 28th October 1900.
The church was completed in 1904. Father Horan died in 1924, aged 79, and is
buried in the Church he helped to build.
Qualities of Father Horan
To show compassion and care for all
To not lose sight of the needs of individuals
To have a sense of community and share responsibilities for the greater good
To set goals and do your very best to achieve them (to make a difference)
Horan House Banner—Banner was originally designed by Mr John Crowson APRE, St.
Mary’s College, 1996-2003.
The Banner depicts an open book, the symbol of learning, while also representing
the Word of God. Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Greek
alphabet and Jesus on many occasions throughout the Gospel refers to himself as
the beginning and the end. It also represents the beginning and end in our
journey of faith with the Gospels.
The background of red is the House colour.
The Canton (upper quarter or subdivision) contains a Chalice and Host, both of
which are symbols of the Priesthood.
take time out to have a
Phone : 07
34325444 Fax : 07 34325432